Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Most of the center’s trash is taken to a facility that sorts out the recyclable materials and only discards the “true” waste.
- In 2008, the center installed a new irrigation system to reduce water use by about 30 percent.
- New pathways onsite encourage shoppers to walk between the various stores rather than driving. The paths also complement the area’s active lifestyle.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags. Customers can also choose to recycle plastic bags at guest services.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- We partnered with the City of Phoenix Public Works Department to ask shoppers to turn in their plastic bags for a reusable tote. More than 4,000 shoppers turned out to recycle.
- Paradise Valley Mall also has an adopted school. Our staff uses this program as an opportunity to help teach the importance of recycling.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building