Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at Paradise Valley Mall
- Most of the center’s trash is taken to a facility that sorts out the recyclable materials and only discards the “true” waste.
- In 2008, the center installed a new irrigation system to reduce water use by about 30 percent.
- New pathways onsite encourage shoppers to walk between the various stores rather than driving. The paths also complement the area’s active lifestyle.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags. Customers can also choose to recycle plastic bags at guest services.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- We partnered with the City of Phoenix Public Works Department to ask shoppers to turn in their plastic bags for a reusable tote. More than 4,000 shoppers turned out to recycle.
- Paradise Valley Mall also has an adopted school. Our staff uses this program as an opportunity to help teach the importance of recycling.